InP photonic integrated circuits (PICs) offer game changing performance capabilities across multiple market sectors. Alas, the possibilities have so far been restricted to a small number of vertically-integrated technology businesses. Europe boasts tens of innovative businesses who are positioned to develop PIC-enabled technologies , but – alas again – they do not have access to mature, fast-turnaround predictable, high performance production.
InPulse is a manufacturing pilot line for InP PICs which will transform the PIC industry from a vertically integrated model with all skills in-house within a small number of specialized businesses, to an open-access horizontal model accessible to all European innovators. InPulse puts in place the technological and operational processes to:
- Accelerate the uptake of PIC technology in new markets: enabling SMEs to create tens of products in markets where PICs have not be used before.
- Enable sustainable production in Europe creating aligned, scalable and inter-locking services and value chains
- Accelerate time to market from years to under 24 months with predictive design for fewer and faster product design cycles
- Qualify foundry processes, to TRL7, sharing process optimization across products
InPulse combines low entrance-threshold, mature-manufacturing to enable tens of European PIC innovators.
InPulse is validated by:
- A "Pilot Line Validation Program" with two Participants stretching performance
- A "Demonstrator Open Call" program enabling external users to take thirty designs to pre-production
- High frequency open access calls, sustainable beyond the end of the project
InPulse partners have played a pioneering role in open access InP PICs, creating an infrastructure for research and early stage development. We are very well positioned to enable high TRL development in a scalable design kit driven process driving open access InP PICs from proof of concept to industrial prototyping and pre-production.